What are Eyelash Extensions? TOP
Xtreme Lashes® Eyelash Extensions are made individual synthetic eyelashes curled to look like a natural eyelash. They are thicker at the base and taper to a fine point which adds thickness and length to your own lashes. They are individually applied to your natural lashes using a specially formulated bonding material. Applying Eyelash Extensions is a very careful and intense service that requires skill and precision and should only be applied by an experienced lash stylist that is trained and certified in the process. Self-application, or application by someone who has not received the proper training, could provide an unnatural result or lead to lash damage or eye injury.
What do Eyelash Extensions look like and how do they feel? TOP
There are different lengths, thicknesses and curls to choose from. There are also a variety of colors that can provide highlighting effects. Application is customized to meet the needs and preference of the client but is also determined by the health and thickness of the client's natural lashes. With proper application, eyelash extensions feel and look so natural it is extremely hard to tell, even up close, that they are not your own. You can wake up every morning with fabulous lashes.
What is the difference in Eyelash Extensions and other lash enhancements? TOP
Eyeash extensions are individual lashes applied lash-by-lash to your own natural lashes. They differ from other forms of lash enhancements as follows:
- False strip lashes are lashes attached together on a strip that is applied to the skin above the natural lashes with an adhesive. These are inexpensive, easy to apply and requires no formal training. But, they are also look unnatural and may cause the most damage to your natural lashes such as premature loss of lashes to permanent loss.
- Flares or Clusters consist of groups of several lashes knotted together and applied either directly to the skin between the natural lashes or on top of a group of existing lashes. They look more natural but, since they can be applied to the skin, they carry some of the same concerns as false strips. When applied to the natural lashes they can cause some of the slower growing lashes to be pulled out by faster growing ones, again causing damage to the natural lash follicle.
Therefore, when booking your lash appointment, be sure you are getting true single eyelash extensions from a Certified Lash Stylist.
Are Eyelash Extensions safe? Can they damage natural lashes? TOP
Xtreme Lashes® Eyelash Extensions cause no damage to natural lashes. They are applied to the lashes and not the skin and are completely safe and painless. Xtreme Lashes® Eyelash Extensions chose to follow the standards set by the US Medical Industry and top US Surgeons in producing their adhesive. The bonding adhesive used with Xtreme Lashes® eyelash extensions is the same ingredient used by plastic surgeons to close wounds in place of traditional stitches.
Although the procedure is easy and painless, it is still one that requires training and expertise to avoid injury to eyes, lids or natural lashes. That is why you must be a trained professional in cosmetology, esthetics or nursing and have successfully completed a hands-on training class before you can perform the procedure properly or purchase products from Xtreme Lashes® Eyelash Extensions.
How do I know if I can wear Eyelash Extensions? TOP
Almost anyone can enjoy the benefit of eyelash extensions, but certain conditions can make them inappropriate for you. If one or more of the following conditions applies to you, you may not be a good candidate for eyelash extensions:
- You Rub Your Eyes Frequently: You suffer from seasonal allergies or just find you have a tendency to rub your eyes excessively.
- Sensitive Skin: Although eyelash extensions are not applied to the skin, allergic reactions are possible from the adhesive, under-eye pads or latex gloves. The area around your eyes is easily irritated by skincare products or cosmetics. Client's with known allergies should alert the lash stylist prior to beginning the procedure.
- Medical Illnesses: A common cold or sinus infection, can cause irritation and/or eye secretions which can cause inadequate bonding of the adhesive and premature loss of your eyelash extensions. You suffer from other medical illnesses, or are undergoing chemotherapy or other medical treatments.
- Conditions That Affect Eyelash Growth: You have no natural lashes. Since eyelash extensions are applied to your own natural lashes, you must have lashes in order to apply lash extensions. Your own lashes are unhealthy or you suffer from conditions that affect eyelash growth.
If any of these things apply to you, or you have a particular concern, contact your Professional Lash Stylist for a consult to determine whether eyelash extensions are right for you.
What are refills and how often will I need them? TOP
Even though some clients get eyelash extensions for a special occasion or event, most love them and want to keep the look. Since you naturally shed your own lashes, you will also shed the lash extension with it. To maintain your lash extensions, it will require touch-ups, or refills, to replace them. This is a process of adding lash extensions to those new lashes that have reached the 5 to 6 week maturity level.
With proper care and maintenance, you can keep the look indefinitely. Therefore, I recommend refills every 2 weeks to keep your lashes looking full and beautiful.
Will Eyelash Extensions pull my own eyelashes out? TOP
You must be gentle with your eyelashes whether you have eyelash extensions or not. Excessive pulling, tugging or rubbing is not only hard on the delicate skin around your eyes, but can cause some natural lashes to come out prematurely, and your eyelash extension with them.
If good adhesive is used and proper technique is applied, eyelash extensions are made to stay safely adhered to your natural lashes until they shed.
Will how I sleep affect my lashes? TOP
It can. If you have a tendency to sleep on your stomach, or cover your eyes with a mask, blanket or pillow, it will decrase the life of your lash extensions. If you sleep on your side, you may notice the eye on the side you sleep on will loose a few more lashes than the other.
Can the Extensions be removed? TOP
Yes. If you should find you need, or want, them removed they can easily be removed by your Eyelash Extension Stylist using a specially formulated adhesive remover. The process is painless and usually takes less than 30 minutes. Please do not attempt to remove them on your own as this can cause damage to your natural lash.
Before my appointment - How should I prepare? TOP
Because this procedure can take time, it is important that some things be done prior to arriving for your appointment:
- Please remove all eye makeup with a mild, oil-free cleanser prior to your appointment. Eye makeup can interfere with the adhesive bond and shorten the lifespan of your lash extensions, so it's very important your natural lashes be as clean as possible.
- If you are a contact lens wearer, please remove them.
- Wear comfortable clothing, a blanket will be provided should you get cold.
- To make you as comfortable as possible and to avoid delays, please visit the bathroom before your procedure.
During my appointment - What can I expect? TOP
When you arrive, you will be asked to complete a short Client History form. I will evaluate and discuss your needs and expectations. You will be comfortably reclined on a treatment bed, with eyes closed. It's highly recommended that all eye makeup be removed prior to your appointment, but if not, it will be removed as much as possible prior to starting the procedure. Your bottom lashes will be protected with a small under eye pad. Each synthetic lash is dipped in a medical grade bonding agent and applied to an individual natural lash. The number and length of lashes applied is determined by the desired look, as well as health and thickness of your own natural lashes. The entire procedure generally takes between 90-150 minutes for a full set and as little as 30-90 minutes for refills.
Note: If you arrive with eye makeup on, I will remove it as much as I can, but I can't remove it as well as you could at home. This could affect the bonding process and shorten the lifespan of the lash extensions. So, please remove all makeup prior to your appointment.
Aftercare - How can I extend the life of my Eyelash Extensions? TOP
Though easy to maintain, proper care and maintenance will ensure the life of your lash extensions.
The first 48 hours are crucial for the adhesive to dry and provide a strong, durable bond. Therefore, it's very important to adhere to the following instructions:
- Keep them dry. Avoid showering, washing your face with hot water or wetting your lashes.
- Avoid swimming or exposure to steam, heat or saunas.
- Avoid oil-based creams and lotions on, or around, the eyes.
- Do not apply eye or lash makeup.
- Avoid eyelash tinting, perming or chemical treatments.
- Avoid chemical peels, waxing or laser treatments around the eyes.
- Avoid sleeping on side or stomach.
After the first 48 hours: Although the adhesive has dried, certain activities can weaken the adhesive bond and result in premature loss of your lash extensions. Therefore the following guidelines are recommended:
- You can swim, shower and exercise as usual but avoid excessive exposure to heat or steam.
- Be gentle, don't rub your eyes excessively and don't pick or pull on the lashes as it can pull your own eyelash out along with the extension.
- Avoid oil-based eye care products or oil-based eye make-up remover. Use of oil-based products can weaken the adhesive bond. I recommend using Xtreme Eye Makeup Remover and Facial Cleanser® and Lint-Free Xtreme Applicators® to gently remove eye makeup and cleanse your lashes and eyelids.
- Use of mascara may reduce the lifespan of your lash extensions. Although not needed, water-based mascara may be used if desired, but apply sparingly and remove gently. If you choose to use mascara, I strongly recommend Xtreme Lashes® Mascara, applied to tips only. I also recommend Xtreme Protective Coating® to help seal the adhesive and create an even stronger lash bond.
- Avoid eyelash curlers as they can damage both natural and synthetic lashes.
You have invested a lot of money in your new Eyelash Extensions and Xtreme Lashes® Eyelash Extentions products are specifically formulated to help protect and extend their life. Therefore, they can be purchased in my spa to ensure you are properly caring for them at home.
How long will my lash extensions last? TOP
Our hair type and growth cycle is predetermined by our genes, as well as other factors such as overall health. In general, our natural lashes grow in cycles of approximately 10 to 12 weeks and undergo three growth phases. Each hair growth cycle is unique to everyone, and each individual eyelash enters the different phases at different times. When natural lashes mature and fall out, new lashes have already been growing. Lash extensions are applied to those lashes that are in the middle phase of the growing cycle. These lashes can support the length and weight of the extension and will extend the amount of time they will last without affecting the health of new lashes. As your natural lash sheds, the lash extension will be shed along with it.
With proper care, your lash extensions will last as long as your own lash, but can be maintained indefinitely with refills. To keep your lash extensions lush and full, we recommend getting a touch up (fill), every 2 weeks.